Monday, September 15, 2008

Misunderstood Generation

Peace,

I am a member of the Hip Hop generation. Hip Hop music served as the backdrop to my formative years. Hip Hop is not only a musical art form but a culture, attitude and way of life. In society its influence is undeniable. Although the culture has been emulated, imitated and profited from corporate entities that do not understand the culture, there is still a stigma placed upon those whose dialect, dress and demeanor embody this culture.

The following is an excerpt of an article taken from the April 2007 issue of National Geographic.

"This is my nightmare: My daughter comes home with a guy and says, "Dad, we're getting married." And he's a rapper, with a mouthful of gold teeth, a do-rag on his head, muscles popping out his arms, and a thug attitude. And then the nightmare gets deeper, because before you know it, I'm hearing the pitter-patter of little feet, their offspring, cascading through my living room, cascading through my life, drowning me with the sound of my own hypocrisy, because when I was young, I was a knucklehead, too, hearing my own music, my own sounds. And so I curse the day I saw his face, which is a reflection of my own, and I rue the day I heard his name, because I realize to my horror that rap—music seemingly without melody, sensibility, instruments, verse, or harmony, music with no beginning, end, or middle, music that doesn't even seem to be music—rules the world. It is no longer my world. It is his world. And I live in it. I live on a hip-hop planet."

The perspective of the writer undoubtedly reflects the thoughts of many a parent whose children are a part of a culture that they do not understand. This lack of understanding often results in a labeling that is inaccurate. Prideful African (American) men wearing ethnic styles of braids or “dreadlocs” are often looked upon as having a thug attitude prior to interaction of any kind. Countless youth of the hip-hop generation are now entering into the workforce. Even for those who choose to conform into the popular corporate culture (which is normally reflective of Eurocentric values) the remnants of their undeniable hip hop influence are evident in style of dress, mannerisms and colloquial expressions.

The purpose of this blog is to provide a new perspective and insight into the culture that might not otherwise be granted. The “Black” man in America is often misunderstood by his elders, those within his ethnic group, foreigners, the opposite gender and society at large. It is only through communication that the deconstruction of the “Black” male negative imagery will occur.

Although Manu Perspective is subjective, every attempt will be made to reflect the collective sentiment of Hip Hop culture based upon my experiences and interactions from varied demographics within our culture.
I welcome you along for this journey of understanding.

Manu Perspective

I bid you farewell in the same way I greet you.
Peace.

Manu can be reached at manuperspective@gmail.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brotha KB I will gladly join you on this voyage to understand and to further enhance the current state of the "Hip Hop Nation" and to become freed from the enslavement which has been caused by a lack of knowledge...Selah

FAHIM KNIGHT said...

My brother we need your perspective an independent voice will to speak truth to power. Frantz Fanon maintained each generation will either honor and respect the history of our people or betray it. I pray that the creator bless and make your Blog successful. Writing is a noble assignment.

Stay Awake Until We Meet Again,
Fahim A. Knight-el

adrian said...

I'm absolutely feeling your thoughts and your insight into the state of black men in this "free" society. Check out this article from Yahoo.
http://news.yahoo.com/page/election-2008-political-pulse-obama-race

I am sooo tired of being told to accept these white american middle class values when it has become obvious that they will never fully accept me. I only regret that my eyes had not been truly opened earlier. I waited far too long to begin this quest for knowledge of self.